Global Warming Lies
Top 10 Shocking Global Warming Lies
“Bats Drop from the Sky – In 2014, a scorching summer heat wave caused more than 100,000 bats to literally drop dead and fall from the sky in Queensland, Australia.” - In 2014, a scorching summer heat wave caused more than 100,000 bats to literally drop dead and fall from the sky in Queensland, Australia. Blaming every single summer heat wave or extreme weather event on global warming is a stale and discredited tactic in the alarmist playbook.
Global warming alarmists’ preferred electricity source – wind power – kills nearly 1 million bats every year (to say nothing of the more than 500,000 birds killed every year) in the United States alone. This appalling death toll occurs every year even while wind power produces just 3% of U.S. electricity. Ramping up wind power to 10, 20, or 30% of U.S. electricity production would likely increase annual bat kills to 10-to-30 million every year. Killing 30 million bats every year in response to dubious claims that global warming might once in a great while kill 100,000 bats makes no sense.
Just as importantly, alarmists present no evidence that global warming caused the summer heat wave in a notoriously hot desert near the equator. To the contrary, climate change theory and objective data show our recent global warming is occurring primarily in the winter, toward the poles, and at night.
“Lyme Disease Spreads” – Warmer temperatures are contributing to the range of expansion and severity of tick-borne Lyme disease.”
Lyme Disease is much more common in northern, cooler regions of the United States than in southern, warmer regions. Asserting, without any supporting data or evidence, that a disease that prospers in cool climates will become more prevalent as a result of global warming defies objective data and common sense. Moreover, a team of scientists extensively researched Lyme Disease climate and habitat and reported in the peer-reviewed science journal EcoHealth, “the only environmental variable consistently association with increased [Lyme Disease] risk and incidence was the presence of forests.”
“National Security Threatened – The impact of climate change is expected to act as a ‘threat multiplier’ in many of the world’s most unstable regions, exacerbating droughts and other natural disasters as well as leading to food, water and other resource shortages that may spur mass migrations.”
The alarmists’ asserted national security threat depends on assertions that (1) global warming is causing a reduction in food and water supplies and (2) migrations of people to places with more food and water will increase risks of military conflict. Objective facts refute both assertions.
Regarding food and water supplies, global crop production has soared as the Earth gradually warms. Atmospheric carbon dioxide is essential to plant life, and adding more of it to the atmosphere enhances plant growth and crop production. Longer growing seasons and fewer frost events also benefit plant growth and crop production.
The same holds true for water supplies. Objective data shows there has been a gradual increase in global precipitation and soil moisture as our planet warms. Warmer temperatures evaporate more water from the oceans, which in turn stimulates more frequent precipitation over continental land masses. The result of this enhanced precipitation is an improvement in soil moisture at almost all sites in the Global Soil Moisture Data Bank.
“Sea Levels Rising – Warmer temperatures are causing glaciers and polar ice sheets to melt, increasing the amount of water in the world’s seas and oceans.”
The pace of sea level rise remained relatively constant throughout the 20th century, even as global temperatures gradually rose. There has similarly been no increase in the pace of sea level rise in recent decades. Utilizing 20th century technologies, humans have effectively adapted to any rise in global sea levels. Utilizing 21st century technologies, humans will be equipped to adapt to any insignificant future increases, should they even occur.
“Allergies Worsen – Allergy sufferers beware: Climate change could cause pollen counts to double in the next 30 years. The warming temperatures cause advancing weed growth, a bane for allergy sufferers.”
Pollen is a product and mechanism of plant reproduction and growth. As such, pollen counts will rise and fall along with plant health and vegetation intensity. Any increase in pollen will be the result of a greener biosphere with more plant growth. Indeed, NASA satellite instruments have documented a spectacular greening of the Earth, with foliage gains most prevalent in previously arid, semi-desert regions. For people experiencing an increase in vegetation in previously barren regions, this greening of the Earth is welcome and wonderful news. For global warming alarmists, however, a greener biosphere is terrible news and something to be opposed.
Global warming alarmists claim a greener biosphere with richer and more abundant plant life is horrible and justifies massive, economy-destroying energy restrictions. Global warming realists understand that a greener biosphere with richer and more abundant plant life is not a horrible thing simply because humans may have had some role in creating it.
“Beetles Destroy Iconic Western Forests – Climate change has sent tree-killing beetles called mountain pine beetles into overdrive. Under normal conditions those beetles reproduce just once annually, but the warming climate has allowed them to churn out an extra generation of new bugs each year.”
Alarmists have responded to recent bitterly cold winters by claiming global warming is causing colder winters. One cannot claim global warming is causing colder winters and then turn around and simultaneously claim global warming is causing warmer winters. Global warming activists’ propensity for doing so shows just how little value they place in a truthful debate.
Objective scientific data verifies that winters are getting colder, which counters the key prerequisite to EDF’s pine beetle claim. NOAA temperature data shows winter temperatures in the United Stateshave been getting colder for at least the past two decades. Pine beetles cannot be taking advantage of warmer winters if winters are in fact getting colder. Moreover, recent U.S. Forest Service data show pine beetle infestations have recently declined dramatically throughout the western United States.
“Canada: The New America – ‘Lusher’ vegetation growth typically associated with the United States is now becoming more common in Canada, scientists reported in a 2012 Nature Climate Change study.”
Only global warming alarmists would claim that lusher vegetation and more abundant plant life is a bad thing. Playing on a general tendency for people to fear change, EDF and global warming alarmists argue that changes in the biosphere that make it richer, lusher, and more conducive to life are changes to be feared and opposed. If barren ecosystems constitute an ideal planet, then the alarmist fears of more plant life make sense. On the contrary, global warming realists understand a climate more conducive to richer, more abundant plant life is beneficial rather than harmful.
“Economic Consequences – The costs associated with climate change rise along with the temperatures. Severe storms and floods combined with agricultural losses cause billions of dollars in damage, and money is needed to treat and control the spread of disease.”
Severe storms, floods and agricultural losses may cost a great deal of money, but such extreme weather events – and their resulting costs – are dramatically declining as the Earth modestly warms. Accordingly, EDF’s asserted economic costs are actually economic benefits.
Regarding “the spread of disease,” as documented in “Alarmist Assertion #2,” objective evidence shows global warming will thwart deadly outbreaks of influenza and other cold-dependent viruses.
The alarmists’ desired means of reducing carbon dioxide emissions – more expensive energy sources – make economic conditions even worse. This forces the American economy to operate on expensive and unreliable wind and solar power, which will have tremendous negative economic consequences. President Obama acknowledged this fact when he promised that under his global warming plan, “electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket.” The economic consequences of Obama’s global warming policies can already be seen in electricity prices, which are currently the highest in U.S. history.
“Infectious Diseases Thrive – The World Health Organization reports that outbreaks of new or resurgent diseases are on the rise and in more disparate countries than ever before, including tropical illnesses in once cold climates.”
Outbreaks of “new or resurgent diseases” are occurring precisely because governments have caved in to environmental activist groups like EDF and implemented their anti-science agendas. For example, DDT had all but eliminated malaria in the United States and on the global stage during the mid-20th century. However, environmental activists championed false environmental accusations against DDT and dramatically reduced use of the life-saving mosquito killer throughout much of the world. As a result, malaria has reemerged with a vengeance and millions of people die every year as a result.
Also, as documented above in “Alarmist Assertion #2,” global warming will reduce the impact and death toll of cold-related viruses such as influenza. In the United States alone, influenza kills 36,000 people every year, which dwarfs all heat-dependent viruses and diseases combined. Few people other than global warming alarmists would argue that it is better to have 36,000 people die each year from influenza than to have a few people die each year from Lyme Disease (which, as documented above, isn’t even related to global warming).
“Shrinking Glaciers – In 2013, an iceberg larger than the city of Chicago broke off the Pine Island Glacier, the most important glacier of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet. And at Montana’s Glacier National Park glaciers have gone from 150 to just 35 over the past century.”
Calling attention to anecdotal incidents of icebergs breaking off the Antarctic ice sheet, while deliberately ignoring the overall growth of the Antarctic ice sheet, is a misleading and favorite tactic of global warming alarmists. Icebergs break off the Antarctic ice sheet every year, with or without global warming, particularly in the Antarctic summer. However, a particular iceberg – no matter how large – breaking off the Antarctic ice sheet does not necessarily result in “Shrinking Glaciers” as EDF alleges. To the contrary, the Antarctic Ice Sheet has been growing at a steady and substantial pace ever since NASA satellites first began measuring the Antarctic ice sheet in 1979.
The Antarctic ice sheet in 2013 and 2014 was more extensive than at any time in recorded history, and yet the EDF pushes the lie that the Antarctic Ice Sheet is shrinking.
The EDF’s assertion about Glacier National Park is also misleading. Alpine glaciers at Glacier National Park and elsewhere have been receding for over 300 years, since the Earth’s temperature bottomed out during the depths of the Little Ice Age. The warming of the past 300 years and the resulting recession of alpine glaciers predated humans building coal-fired power plants and driving SUVs. Moreover, opening up more of the Earth’s surface to vegetation and plant and animal life would normally be considered a beneficial change, if global warming alarmists had not so thoroughly politicized the global warming discussion.
James Taylor (Full Bio: “I am senior fellow for environment policy at the Heartland Institute and managing editor of Environment & Climate News. I write about energy and environment issues, frequently focusing on global warming. I have presented environmental analysis on CNN, CNN Headline News, CBS Evening News, MSNBC, Fox News Channel, and several national radio programs. My environmental analysis has been published in virtually every major newspaper in the United States. I studied atmospheric science and majored in government at Dartmouth College. I obtained my Juris Doctorate from Syracuse University.”) concludes:
“There you have it. These are the 10 best arguments global warming activists like EDF can make, along with the objective scientific facts that prove them wrong. No wonder global warming alarmists are so terrified of people having access to both sides of the debate.”
Global Warming Myths
Common Misconceptions About Global Warming
- MYTH 1
Global temperatures are rising at a rapid, unprecedented rate.
- MYTH 2
The "hockey stick" graph proves that the earth has experienced a steady, very gradual temperature decrease for 1000 years, then recently began a sudden increase.
- MYTH 3
Human produced carbon dioxide has increased over the last 100 years, adding to the Greenhouse effect, thus causing most of the earth's warming of the last 100 years.
- MYTH 4
CO2 is the most common greenhouse gas.
- MYTH 5
Computer models verify that CO2 increases will cause significant global warming.
- MYTH 6
The United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has proven that man–made CO2 causes global warming.
- MYTH 7
CO2 is a pollutant.
- MYTH 8
Global warming will cause more storms and other weather extremes.
- MYTH 9
Receding glaciers and the calving of ice shelves are proof of man-made global warming.
- MYTH 10
The earth’s poles are warming and the polar ice caps are breaking up and melting.
Read the FACTS here.
How to stop producing carbon dioxide:
- Stop breathing - When you exhale, you release carbon dioxide.
- Don't live in a house/apartment/condo or any building that uses gas or electricity - Homes produce 2-3 times as much carbon as cars.
- Don't wear shoes or any sort of clothing produced in a factory - Grow a cotton field and make your own clothes by hand.
- Quit school - School buildings produce more carbon in a year than you do in 20 years.
- Eat meat raw - Whether you're using gas or electric, both produce carbon dioxide.
- Turn off this monitor and your computer - You hypocrite.
- Don't use toilets - Urinate and defecate in your back yard. The water to your house is cleaned and sent to your house using pumps that use electricity.
- Stop exercising - Increasing your heart rate increases the amount of oxygen you take in and turns it into carbon dioxide.
- Die - Dying younger means you will do all of the above less. Living one year less means you will save the earth 8.4 tons of carbon dioxide every year you're not here!
Who does NOT believe in Man-Made Global Warming?
- Dr. Neil Frank, former director of the National Hurricane Center and primary meteorologist for Channel 11 in Houston for years: “It’s a hoax,” he says. (Source: Washington Post – May 2006)
- John Coleman, a meteorologist and the founder of the Weather Channel, called it a "manufactured crisis" by "dastardly scientists with environmental and political motives" who have “manipulated long-term scientific data to create an illusion of rapid global warming. It is the greatest scam in history.” (Source: John Coleman – March 2008)
- Over 31,000 scientists across the U.S. – including more than 9,000 Ph.D.s in fields such as atmospheric science, climatology, Earth science, environment and dozens of other specialties – have signed a petition rejecting man-made global warming. (Source: Global Warming Petition Project – May 2008)
- Steven Goddard, of the skeptical climate blog, Real Science, has spent thousands of hours researching bad weather around the world. With a background in geology and computer science, Goddard’s research points to the fact that man-made global warming in no way produces violent, or more catastrophic weather patterns as purported by climate alarmists. In fact, weather patterns have been stranger in the past than they are today. Take for example hurricanes; the most deadly hurricane in US history was in 1900. And what about melting glaciers being caused by man-made global warming? Glaciers in Alaska, between 1794 and 1879 had already receded more than 30 miles – almost a century before it was claimed that these “climate events” were caused by man-made global warming. To read more of Mr. Goddard’s 2012 research, visit: http://stevengoddard.wordpress.com
- 3,000 scientific robots monitoring the ocean suggest that the oceans have not warmed up at all over the past 4-5 years. In fact, 80%-90% of global warming involves heating up ocean waters. The probes can dive 3,000 feet down and measure ocean temperature. Since the system was fully deployed in 2003, it has recorded no warming of the global oceans. (Source: NPR – March 19, 2008)
- Remember Al Gore’s ‘Hockey Stick’ graph? Where was the Little Ice Age (LIA), a well-documented cold period lasting from about the 16th to the 19th century or the Medieval Warm Period (MWP), a relatively warmer period extending from about 11th to the 13th century? Including those periods makes the “hockey stick” graph a completely new picture of the earth’s climate of the past 1,000 years. (Source: World Climate Change Report – March 2005)
- During the 1950’s up to the 1980’s there were about 12,000 to 14,000 weather monitoring stations collecting temperature statistics worldwide. After the fall of the USSR that number dropped steadily to only 6,000 active weather stations by the year 2000. A large percentage of these deactivated stations were in the USSR in areas like Siberia (which is really cold). Now, what does your common sense tell you about the data quality of measuring the earth’s temperature if 50% of the weather monitoring stations in the coldest areas of the world are shutdown in the same period that Al Gore’s global warming charts show the world temperature rising? (Source: Ross McKitrick – November 2003)
- Something else to ponder is a buried story by the drive-by media a few summers ago of Ruedy and James Hansen who exposed how NASA’s global temperature data sets were flawed because of a Y2K bug in NASA’s calculations. After being denied the software algorithms to investigate, the Hansen’s reverse-engineered the code and found the 2-byte vs 4-byte integer Y2K flaw that affected the floating point precision of the calculations. After NASA admitted the error and recalculated a century of temperature data, the hottest years changed significantly. NASA silently released corrected figures, and the changes are truly amazing. The warmest year on record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place. 1921 takes third. In fact, 5 of the 10 warmest years on record now all occur before World War II. (Source: James Hansen – August 2007)
- Since the Kilimanjaro icecap has been melting since the 1800’s, long before SUVs roamed the earth, satellites have not detected a warming trend in the region. Also, the deforestation around the foot of the mountain is the likely reason for the melting trend. (Source: International Herald Tribune – January 2008)
- Global sea levels are now basically the same as those seen 32 years ago, when the year 1979 also drew to a close. In fact, the rate of increase from September of 2008 is the fastest rate of change on record, either upwards or downwards. (Source: Daily Tech – January 1st, 2009)
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) is a naturally occurring atmospheric substance, not a pollutant. CO2 makes up .054% of the atmosphere. Volcanoes produce much more CO2 than humans and animals produce. Above critters, vegetation produces more CO2 than animals. The oceans produce more CO2 than vegetation, animals, volcanoes, and the puny, insignificant amount of CO2 humans produce. (Source: The Great Global Warming Swindle – March 2007)
- For over 100 years our country’s news media have predicated numerous global climate crises four different times. Each apocalyptic warning claimed that entire countries would be wiped out. In 1895, the panic was over an imminent ice age. Later, in the late 1920’s, when the earth’s surface warmed less than half a degree, the media jumped on a new threat – global warming, which continued into the late 1950’s. Then in 1975, the New York Times’ headline blared – “A Major Cooling Widely Considered To Be Inevitable.” Then in 1981 it was back to global warming, with the Times quoting seven government atmospheric scientists who predicted global warming of an “almost unprecedented magnitude.” (Source: BMI – June 2006)
- After conducting a telephone survey of 1,500 adults, global warming scored LAST place in peoples minds. With the top three slots of twenty being the economy, jobs, and terrorism, the global warming thing is not that hot in the real world. (Source: CNS News – January 2009)
- In November 2009, computer hackers obtained 160 megabytes of emails from the Climate Research Unit at the University of East Anglia in England. The emails openly discussed the destruction and hiding of data that did not support global warming claims. Among the emails, Professor Phil Jones, the head of the Climate Research Unit talks to Professor Michael Mann at the University of Pennsylvania about the “trick of adding in the real temps to each series…to hide the decline [in temperature].” (Source: FoxNews – November 2009). “This is horrible,” said Pat Michaels, a climate scientist at the Cato Institute in Washington who is mentioned negatively in the emails. “This is what everyone feared. Over the years, it has become increasingly difficult for anyone who does not view global warming as an end-of-the-world issue to publish papers.